Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The two Ethans

Today at camp, Noah (age 3.5) built a farm using the Legos. I noticed that he included a Lego fire hydrant on the farm, and I asked him what the hydrant was for.

Noah: Fire comes out of there. That's how they get died. They're died.

Me: You mean, "They're dead". When someone dies, you say 'they're dead'.

Noah: They're died. I died... I dead them. I died them.

Me: (trying to change the subject) Can I put this here so the cows can drink water from it?

Noah: No. Cows drink milk. From down here. (points to Lego udder on Lego cow).

Me: Um... (decided not to try to explain that cows do in fact drink water). Who's that? (pointing to two almost identical Lego people on two Lego horses.)

Noah: Those are the two Ethans.

Me: Oh. I see they're both sitting on horses.

Noah: They're dead, so the two Ethans can't sit there. (takes them off)

Me: Oh.

5 comments:

l.e.s.ter said...

The two Ethans' headware make them look like they're part of some strange religious cult. Is that part of your school? Children are bizarre. Is this post a way to make me admit that when I'm "working on my book," I am actually experimenting with cloning myself as a future organ farm and the warehoused horrific failures are the reason behind that strange formaldehyde smell in the apartment? Because if it is, I will only tell you "nice try."

skramly said...

Um, children are bizarre?

l.e.s.ter said...

Top 10 baby names from last year:

1. Jacob / Emily
2. Michael / Isabella
3. Ethan / Emma
4. Joshua / Ava
5. Daniel / Madison
6. Christopher / Sophia
7. Anthony / Olivia
8. William / Abigail
9. Matthew / Hannah
10. Andrew / Elizabeth

skramly said...

I wouldn't be surprised if 3-4 years ago the name Ethan was even higher on the list than it is now.

l.e.s.ter said...

You may quantify:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=ETHAN&ms=false&sw=f&exact=false